The Arizona Innovation Lab helps address the need for Arizona to participate and encourage the use of current assets and infrastructure to seek innovative solutions that add value and seek solution centric suppliers who may not necessarily engage with a large government entity.
Launched in late 2018, the purpose of the lab is to support the Governor’s vision of an efficient and accountable state government as laid out on the Fundamentals Map.
The Innovation Lab encompasses a three pronged approach:
- Utilization of Pilot Concepts;
- Streamlined competitive procurement processes; and
- Statewide and Nationwide Cooperative Agreements, where investments in solutions can be minimal to first test the feasibility, thereby determine the path to the deployment of a successful state project.
Development of Pilot Concepts
Using existing procurement rules and regulations, this approach attempts to:
- Reduce procurement cycle time from months to days
- Minimize initial investment
- Accelerate completion of projects
- Dashboard development to enhance collaboration between parties in the formulating of new legislation
Streamlined Innovative Procurement Approach
To further the outreach of the Lab to a nationwide level, the Lab has sponsored and is a cohort member of Start-Up in Residence (STIR) program, a subprogram of City Innovate. The selection for this cohort is a critical step for Arizona to educate others in the innovation environment and utilize a "challenge-based" procurement approach where demonstrating the effective solution requested is more important than the previously laborious Request for Proposal (RFP) process.
- Building Renewal Grants Performance Dashboard;
- Fleet Anywhere Application
- Knowledge Portal