Special Events

The management of events on Wesley Bolin Memorial Plaza (WBP) property has been transferred from the Department of Administration to the Arizona Legislative Council. All requests for use of Wesley Bolin Plaza must go through the Arizona Legislative Council. All requests should be sent to [email protected] for more information.



The following information only applies to facilities managed by the Department of Administration. 

Arizona Administrative Code (A.A.C.) requires an individual or organization to obtain a permit to use state property for the purpose of a Special Event or Solicitation.

“Solicitation” means any activity that can be interpreted as being for the promotion, sale, or transfer of products, services, memberships, or causes. Distribution or posting of advertising, circulars, flyers, handbills, leaflets, posters, or other printed information for these purposes is a solicitation. “Solicitation material” means advertising, circulars, flyers, handbills, leaflets, posters, or other printed information. (A.A.C. R2-11-301).

“Special event” or “event” means an assembly, demonstration, display, festival, parade, or rally conducted by a person or organization. This does not include a person authorized by the head of a state agency using the agency’s own office space. (A.A.C. R2-11-401).

*A.A.C. R2-11-402. – Unauthorized Special Event Prohibited
A person shall not use state buildings or grounds for a special event without express written permission from the Director.

*A.A.C. R2-11-302. – Unauthorized Solicitation Prohibited
A person shall not conduct a solicitation on state property without express written permission from the Director.




Insurance Requirements:


Under the Arizona Administrative Code, the Department shall not provide insurance or guarantee against damage to equipment or personal property of any person using state buildings or grounds. The special event sponsor is liable to the state for any injury done to its property and for any expense arising out of the sponsor’s use of state buildings or grounds. (A.A.C. R2-11-407). You will need to contact your insurance provider and provide them with ADOA requirements, which can be found on the links below. 

If you do not already have an insurance policy, you can secure a special one-day event policy through an insurance agent of your choice. ADOA may require higher policy amounts depending on the nature and risk of your event.